Monday, January 10, 2011

Playing with my New Toy | Hampton Roads Photographer

I have always been guilty of camera envy...every time I am out somewhere and I see another photographer, I have to check out their equipment on the sly...what are they shooting with?  Canon or Nikon?  Prime or zoom?  Then I get more specific...if they are shooting with Canon (I'm a long time Canon girl), I will scrutinize everything they are using, what lens, what flash, what filters, I even check out the strap!  I have been pining over the Canon 5d Mark ii since it came out in 2008.  I couldn't justify the cost since I was still building my portfolio and establishing a client base, so I suffered in silence.  I window shopped (online, of course), I rented once (bad idea, as this only made me want it more), I waited.  I set goals for myself - if I can make $xx.xx, I will think about ordering it.  I found out from the Canon site that they sell refurbished models that have never left the production facility at a significant discount.  These cameras have not made it past an inspection spot on the line for such things as a crooked logo or a loose screw and are sent to another part of the facility to be "refurbed" and then sold.  With a little help from my parents (thanks N&G!), I ordered one in time for the holidays.  It has been everything I hoped for and more!   While the learning curve has been steep and I have deleted more pictures than I have saved, I am soooo glad I upgraded!  Over the next few posts, I will share some of my trials with my new baby!  These we all taken with my 50mm 1.8.  








 

No comments:

Post a Comment

All photos are copyright of Shutter Girl Photography. Do not copy, print or distribute without permission from the owner. contact@shuttergirl-photography.com

about me

My photo
I am Beverly Clark. I am a wife, mother, daughter, and aunt. I am also an artist, photographer, and designer. I love peanut butter, the beach, roller coasters, sleeping in on Saturday mornings, driving with the windows down, laughing from my toes, and my sweet dog, Melly. I believe that life is beautiful and my mission as a photographer is to capture that beauty. I shoot primarily on location around Newport News, Yorktown and Williamsburg, Virginia. I will also shoot in your home or other location of your choice within the area.